The need for sun care has been widely documented in recent years, but nearly one-third of Americans still fail to engage in sufficient sun-protective behaviors. Why is sun care so important, and how can you both achieve and maintain healthy skin?
How UV Rays Affect Your Skin
Ultraviolet radiation, or UV rays, has been scientifically proven to be a human carcinogen, or cancer-causing substance. It’s estimated that one in five Americans will develop skin cancer at some point in their lifetime. Indeed, more skin cancer diagnoses occur each year than new cases of breast, colon, prostate and lung cancer combined. When UV rays penetrate deep into your skin, they cause cell damage, and, in addition to the potential for cancer, that damage can produce:
- Skin discoloration, often in the form of brown freckle-like marks called sun spots
- Premature wrinkling of skin that has lost its elasticity and ability to retain moisture
- Fine lines, especially around the mouth and eyes
- Skin with a thick, almost leathery texture
Types of Sun Care Protection
The best thing you can do for your skin is avoid the sun, but hermit status isn't always desirable or logical. Instead, follow these tips:
- Find shade between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when UV rays are most intense
- Opt for a sunless tan over long-term sun exposure
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF at least your age, that blocks both UVA and UVB radiation and provides infrared protection
- Protect your face, neck and ears with a wide-brimmed hat
- Wear sunglasses that block UV
Serve, Protect, Repair – Triple-Duty Sun Protection
Generally speaking, skin care products are single purpose, which is why you’ve found yourself standing in the drugstore aisle staring blankly at the shelf full of products more than once. What’s more important, preventative care or an ointment that repairs? You’ve probably also experienced the joyful act of layering sunscreen on top of your favorite moisturizer or wrinkle cream only to be rewarded with a white, pasty emulsion that sits on your skin without a hope of sinking in. SkinMedica's Total Defense + Repair SPF 50 is a triple-threat “superscreen” infused with OL-IR™ Advanced Antioxidant Complex that:
- Protects skin from infrared rays that can cause damage
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps improve the appearance of skin that has already been damaged
Basically, this superscreen by SkinMedica® rejuvenates the skin you have while simultaneously safeguarding against future sun damage. It also absorbs quickly and easily, so it’s undetectable with or without the addition of makeup. Additionally, it’s water-resistant for an extended period of time, so you can splash with the kids or grab cocktails at the swim-up bar with your significant other without giving your skin a second thought.
Our skin is our body’s largest organ, and that makes sun care incredibly important. For more information about skin care solutions, call Michelle, Aesthetics Coordinator at (309) 243-3875, or schedule your consultation online.