Back-to-school season is upon us, and with it comes the opportunity for a fresh start. It’s time to say goodbye to the relaxed vibe that summer brings us, and say hello to more structured routines. Give your skin a fresh start this fall and give yourself the gift of younger looking skin with a well-rounded skin care routine. Truth is – no one is getting any younger – but there are simple steps we can take to protect our skin and prevent future damage from happening. Here are five simple tips for younger looking skin:
1. Be obsessed with UV protection
We can’t stress enough the importance of wearing a daily sunscreen. Even 10 minutes of daily sun exposure can lead to wrinkles and sunspots. Use a daily moisturizer that’s formulated with a built-in broad-spectrum sunscreen. We love SkinMedica’s® Essential Defense Mineral Shield SPF35. It’s a lightweight sunscreen and moisturizer that provides the highest level of UVA protection available and UVB coverage to protect skin from the sun’s damaging rays.
2. Manage stress
You can’t avoid stress, but there are ways you can manage its effect on your body. Stress causes a chemical response in your body that makes skin sensitive and reactive, and it can also make it harder for skin problems to heal. Skin tends to break out more when there’s stress as your body releases hormones like cortisol, which tells glands in your skin to produce more oil. The next time you’re letting stress get the best of you, take a moment to breath and center yourself. Take a walk to clear your mind. Set boundaries and limits to lower your stress level in the future. But do not neglect your skin – take care of it always – even if you’re feeling tired or overwhelmed. When you look better, you feel better!
3. Practice proper cleansing
If you have dry and sensitive skin, wash your face once daily before you go to bed. We recommend SkinMedica’s Sensitive Skin Cleanser. It’s perfect for dry, sensitive and post-procedure skin. It gently cleanses while it hydrates for fresh, clean skin.
If your skin is naturally oily, you’ll want to wash twice a day – in the morning and at night. Use an exfoliating facial cleanser at least twice a week to refresh your skin. We recommend SkinMedica’s GlyPro Exfoliating Facial Cleanser. It sloughs off the top layer of skin using eco-friendly micro beads, redefines pore size and imparts smoother, more radiant skin.
Remember to always wash your face after working out, and remove your makeup with a makeup wipe prior to washing your face (some concealers and foundations are more difficult to remove).
4. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
Moisturizing is so easy – yet so many of us don’t do it every day! Hydration allows our skin to function at peak performance which means cells are able to quickly repair themselves and turnover fresh cells. We offer a wide variety of moisturizers and serums, but here are some of our favorites:
- SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum®
- It’s an all-in-one rejuvenating serum that’s perfect for all skin types. With seven antioxidants to fight free radical damage, it enhances skin’s texture and tone, and reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Use it in the morning and at night for optimal results!
- SkinMedica Rejuvenative Moisturizer
- It’s a daily moisturizer for normal to dry skin. It works to nourish and hydrate dry skin, as well as reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream
- It's an ultra-rich cream for normal to dry skin, that intensely hydrates and replenishes moisture with high levels of lipid-soluble antioxidant vitamins C and E.
- Revision SkinCare Intellishade SPF 45 Original and Oil-free Matte Finish
- Intellishade is a tinted anti-aging moisturizer that feels like silk, matches your skin tone, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and gives your face a healthy, radiant glow. It also provides maximum broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
5. Exercise regularly
You know that exercise is great for your heart, your lungs, and your physical and mental state. But did you know that regular exercise is one of the keys to healthy skin? Physical activity promotes healthy circulation, and reduces stress, which in turn helps keep your skin healthy and vibrant. Try to incorporate physical activity into your life on a daily basis. Go on a brisk walk during your lunch break or after dinner. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Join a fun fitness class and make new friends while you tone your body. You’ll see the positive effects exercise can have on your skin, mind, body and soul in no time.
Younger looking skin is in your future when you use these five tips. At Aesthetics at Illinois Eye Center. Catherine Cuite, MD, and Michelle Ford, Aesthetics Coordinator, work closely together to personalize the skin care regimen that best meets each patient’s individualized needs. Call (309) 243-3875 to request your skin care consultation today. We’re looking forward to revealing the best you.